Call us to set up an appointment! 708-220-6809

The Role of Insurance Coverage in the West Palm Beach Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice

“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” conveys Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article titled Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to start an article! It continues:

  • $90 billion on low back pain alone a year
  • 1.2 million spinal surgeries a year
  • $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past 10 years)

The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” may be as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US over $3.5 trillion - $10,739 per person – it’s no wonder that insurers seek another way to cut costs, particularly when one-third of the money goes to hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Chiropractic Care is well-trained and confident in offering non-hospital-based care to help West Palm Beach back pain – chronic and acute – patients find relief of and handle their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - without surgery.

LOW BACK PAIN FACTS

Low back pain is the foremost reason of years lived with disability around the world. Today, guidelines for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems tend to struggle with these novel approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These views are shared in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Chiropractic Care reads this with interest.

BACK SURGERY CHOICE

Considering these facts, it is not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will decide on back surgery over non-surgical management of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers chose to see a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor initially based on their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Modifying these things to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type might well inspire low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment rather than back surgery. (4) Chiropractic Care likes this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers require back surgery. (5) Chiropractic Care is ready to assist the remaining 99% of the West Palm Beach back pain sufferers manage their back pain and rework their lifestyles to live with the spine they have and cope with its episodes of pain and relief.

RECURRENT BACK PAIN

West Palm Beach back pain sufferers are not alone if their back pain comes back. It happens. It is controllable. It is manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients experienced another episode of back pain of some sort. Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences prompt the risk of back pain recurrence. (6) It’s ok though. Really! Chiropractic Care helps West Palm Beach back pain patients navigate these recurrences and manage them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life.  We have a treatment plan!

CONTACT Chiropractic Care

Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson share how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you are pregnant or not, West Palm Beach chiropractic care at Chiropractic Care can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too.

Schedule a West Palm Beach chiropractic appointment at Chiropractic Care for back pain relief. Our care is not overused!  The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic look for 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often delivers 70%, 80%, 90% and greater for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.

Chiropractic Care realizes that back pain sufferers may choose their back pain treatment option based on insurance coverage. If insurance pays for back surgery, will you choose that?  
 
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."